Housetraining is a pretty straightforward process. I have yet to meet a healthy dog or puppy that couldn't be housetrained 100%.
Here are the key points to getting you and your dog trained.
· Puppies must be supervised at all times- no sneaking off to have an accident
· Keep a small leash and collar on puppy at all times when not crated or gated to keep them close by
· Controlled water with all meals and several other times a day when you can take puppy out for a relief, if going for a exercise walk offer puppy water on walk and make sure they pee before coming back inside
· Daily outdoor exercise is important to a housetrained and happy dog
· If paper training use only one wee wee pad and make sure to take pup to pad often however puppy still needs to go outside for exercise and socialization
· If the goal for housetraining is outside only paper training is an unnecessary step
· NEVER correct a dog after the fact this will only confuse the dog, it’s mean and ineffective.
· Some puppies and dogs are easier to train but all can be trained be consistent and patient
·Take away the water 2-3 hours before bedtime, then a short pee poop walk before bed
· Feed puppy last meal 3 hours before bedtime, then a short pee poop walk before bed
· 2-2.5 hours is the longest for a puppies to be alone this can expand to 4.5 hours at the most
·Puppies need to pee/poop when they wake up, after meals, after play and any other excitement
·Daily play dates and/or play groups are a must for proper puppy socialization
·Feed premium food -read the label
·Dog crated or baby gate when dog alone or can’t be watched